“Red wine braised beef shanks are melt in your mouth delicious.” – festibrate.com
Red Wine Braised Beef Shanks with Rosemary
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lbs. beef shanks (4 pieces)
- 2 tsps. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- ¼ lb. button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsps. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, bite sized pieces
- sprigs of rosemary for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 325°
- Grab a 2 cup liquid measure to combine your red wine, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and rosemary. Mix your red wine liquid and set aside.
- Grab an 8 or 9 qt. cast iron Dutch oven. Add the extra virgin olive oil and heat the pot on the stovetop at medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Season the beef shanks on both sides with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place half of your beef shanks in the cast iron Dutch pot using tongs. Heat 3 minutes on each side to brown your beef. Remove the beef shanks onto a plate and set aside. Repeat with the second half of the beef shanks.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the cast iron Dutch oven. Cook for 5 minutes to brown and soften the mix.
- Add half of the red wine liquid and stir with a wooden spoon to loosen up some of the brown pieces.
- Place the beef shanks and their juices back into the pot overlapping the pieces as necessary to fit in the bottom. Pour the rest of the red wine liquid over the meat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake the red wine braised beef shanks for 2 hours.
- Add your potatoes and carrots by just layer both of them on top; no mixing or stirring is necessary. Continue to cook for 1 more hour.
- Serve your red wine braised beef shanks on a large serving platter. Begin with the potatoes and carrots, carefully spoon them onto your platter. Add your red wine braised beef shanks and garnish your platter with extra sprigs of rosemary.